Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] auto-placement of item named with grid-area, but without a corresponding placement in grid-template-areas

From: astearns via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 22:32:20 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
And if you add a D grid item and give it 'grid-area: d' it overlaps
the placement of C.

My read of the algorithm makes me think that c is no longer auto
positioned when it has a grid-area set, so it moves up to getting
placed in step 1 rather than step 4, and therefore step 3 is creating
an additional column and row for it.

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#auto-placement-algo

This might be useful if the algorithm were creating new rows and
columns for *each* undeclared area, but lumping all unknown
positioning in the same place seems bad.

Perhaps we should change definite grid position from "at least one
specified line" to "at least one specified line defined on the grid
container"? Then C could fall back to auto positioning.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by astearns
Please view or discuss this issue at