[csswg-drafts] [css-text] Question re white space processing rules for U+000D

From: jfkthame via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:13:43 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
jfkthame has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-text] Question re white space processing rules for U+000D ==
AFAICT from
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#white-space-processing, a lone CR
 (U+000D) character should be treated just like a lone LF (U+000A) or
a CRLF pair: it is a segment break, which will be transformed to a
preserved line feed, removed, or transformed to a space (U+0020),
depending on the value of `white-space` and possibly the context of
the segment break.

However, none of the browsers I have tested so far (Firefox, Chrome,
Safari, Edge) appear to behave this way; rather, they all discard the
lone CR.

Testcase: https://people-mozilla.org/~jkew/tests/cr.html

Am I misunderstanding something here, should the spec be changed to
better match actual behavior, or do we expect all the browsers to
change to match the spec?

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/855 using your GitHub
account