Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-flexbox][css-align][css-grid] abspos flex/grid item "align-self: auto behaves as start" spec-text is too vague

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 06:22:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@cbiesinger Yes. When we only had Flexbox, it didn't matter what it
computed to on abspos elements, unless they also happened to be
children of a flex container.  But when we extended
`align-self`/`justify-self` to all absolutely-positioned elements, we
realized that honoring `align-items`/`justify-items` on the *parent*
would be a confusing form of action-at-a-distance in the (very common)
 case of an absolutely-positioned box's containing block being an
ancestor that is not its parent. So we needed to break the
parent-dependence on absposes.

Lemme know if that makes sense.

@yisibl I am not sure what's going on, given you didn't post any
source code, but I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to this bug report...

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/440#issuecomment-276582225