Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui] text-overflow: ellipsis when a word of different direction was truncated

From: Addison Phillips via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 00:18:50 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
If you truncate visually, the text will be somewhat illegible. In addition, doing visual truncation will make text selection kind of broken (don't forget that other operations besides viewing can happen).

Instead of using non-words like `ABCDEF`, sometimes it's more helpful to use actual words in examples. If I used the sentence `the world is full of ZEBRAS, ELEPHANTS, and OSTRICHES` and then have overflow, it makes more sense (you might guess what the word is) if I used logical truncation:

`the world is full of ZEBRAS, ELEPH...`

While having it be:

`the world is full of ZEBRAS, HANTS...`

... doesn't make any sense.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by aphillips
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2125#issuecomment-353809115 using your GitHub account