[csswg-drafts] [css-transforms] Named rotation axis

From: Christoph Päper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 11:12:28 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Crissov has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-transforms] Named rotation axis ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-transforms-2/#individual-transforms

>     rotate: none | <number>{3}? <angle>

The default values for the numbers are `0 0 1` to get a planar 2D transform. I believe it would be cleaner and perhaps more readable if the axes had keywords: either `x`, `y` and `z` or `horizontal`, `vertical` and _?_.

I’m less sure whether `translate` should also support positional keywords like `top`, `right`, `bottom`, `left`, `center`, `start`, `end`. That would make this property even more similar to `position: relative` etc.

I understand that the three properties are named to match the functions in `transform` inherited. Consistency with those is probably more important than keeping with the general nomenclature used in CSS which prefers nouns over verbs for property names (i.e. `rotation` etc.).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2130 using your GitHub account