Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors-4] Case-sensitive attribute selectors

From: SelenIT via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:24:28 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Well, while this probably technically explains the issue, implying that case-sensitivity of the value of this attribute is limited to the user agent stylesheet looks like a kind of self-contradiction in the spec. The note in the spec explicitly allows "to redefine the default CSS list styles used to implement this attribute in CSS user agents"; the values `"A"` and `"a"`, `"I"` and `"i"` clearly have different semantics; impossibility to express this semantic in the author CSS while it is possible in the user agent CSS doesn't make much sense.

I admit that it might be not easy to differentiate the `ol` element's `type` attribute, which probably was intended to be compared case-sensitively, from, e.g., the `input` element's `type` attribute that clearly should be compared case-insensetively, in the selectors like `*[type="..."]`. Maybe, since list `type` values don't overlap any other `type` values, the exception should be made for the specific values (e.g. "the `type` attribute value is treated as ASCII case-insensitive, except the values `"a"`, `"A"`, `"i"`, and `"I"`, which are treated as ASCII case-sensitive")?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SelenIT
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2101#issuecomment-350709729 using your GitHub account