Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-overflow] how should ignoring overflow on the *-start sides of the scrollport be done?

From: Matt Rakow via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 22:07:05 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
In Edge we've observed a number of fairly severe interop bugs due to the (block-start / inline-end) combination you describe on mobile sites.

Since scrollable bounds impact the scaling imposed by meta viewport in some cases, getting a different answer results in a symptom of inappropriate scaling rather than unnecessary scrollbars.  In the event that the page has a meta viewport that scales page content to fit the viewport horizontally, a too-large horizontal scrollable bounds results in the symptom of extremely downscaled content on the left side, with a large chunk of blank space on the right.

Because of that, I'm of the inclination that for mobile web compatibility the Chromium/Webkit definition of scrollable bounds needs to be used.  Alternatively, the meta viewport behavior could be changed to no longer account for scrollable bounds in scaling calculations, but this would introduce a different set of mobile web compatibility regressions.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by ChumpChief
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2006#issuecomment-349457698 using your GitHub account