Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text] cursive shaping breaks needs better scoping

From: Behnam Esfahbod via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:48:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
>From https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#boundary-shaping
> Text shaping should not be broken across inline box boundaries otherwise, if it is reasonable and possible for that case given the limitations of the font technology.

Although it's a good start, but the "if it is **reasonable and possible** for that case given the limitations of the font technology" part apparently makes it a matter of choice again and leaves a lot of room for inconsistency between implementations, and eventually, as a result of the inconsistencies, users not being able to rely on it.

Regarding "joining context" of elements, has it been discussed to allow user to control it for `inline` elements, with options to *isolate* the element regarding joining or *absorb* context from surrounding?

Why I think explicit method is better than implicit is that there exist cases that the element can have a margin/border/padding **and** also a non-`baseline` vertical alignment, and still the *joining context* should be preserved, for example, "drop caps" for Arabic.

Here's an example of a drop caps being applied without proper *joining context* for either the first letter or the rest of the word:

![image](https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/37169/25446075/f93acc9e-2a75-11e7-862b-b4e02d36741c.png)

Example is from this discussion: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/persian-computing/W-Upl6DAEcg

--
GitHub Notification of comment by behnam
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/698#issuecomment-297472304 using your GitHub account