Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] CSSFontFaceRule does not seem Web compatible

From: Simon Sapin via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 07:42:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The CSS Working Group discussed this today and resolved:

```
RESOLVED: Remove CSS OM section from Fonts Level 3 to Fonts Level 4
RESOLVED: As above, but leave CSSFontFaceRule with a note explaining the current state
```

<details>

```
<fantasai>	Topic: CSS Fonts 3
<dino>	ScribeNick: dino
<Chris__L>	https://www.w3.org/People/chris/fwf/
<dino>	Chris__L: Myles made an interesting font.
<dino>	Chris__L: for each char, it displays a cross or tick depending if a feature is on or off
<dino>	Chris__L: it allows you switch high/low level features on and see the output
<dino>	Chris__L: the link above shows the results of testing
<dino>	Chris__L: staged at the moment because they are easier to see live
<tantek_>	github topic: none
<dino>	Chris__L: the amount of greeniness shows how many implementations we have. red is zero greeniness
<dino>	Chris__L: the one that sticks out is font-variant-east-asian, only Gecko passing
<dino>	Chris__L: chrome passes the low level test, but the syntax isn't hooked up
<dino>	eae: we will try to fix this quarter
<dino>	Chris__L: scroll to the bottom, see the object model. Nobody implements what the spec says, but they do implement stuff from DOM Level 2
<dino>	SimonSapin: iirc, the conclusion was that we'd copy the interface from DOM 2 into the Fonts spec.
<dino>	SimonSapin: and there was only a few attributes missing
<dino>	SimonSapin: I'll make a pull request
<dbaron>	The OM thing is https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/825
<dino>	jdaggett: the OM rule is non-functional. to make it work you have to jam things into the style.
<dino>	jdaggett: you can manipulate unicode range on a style property - this is weird
<dino>	jdaggett: it is badly defined. we are not speccing out what the implementors are implementing.
<dino>	Chris__L: what do you suggest?
<dino>	jdaggett: that implementors follow the spec
<dino>	jdaggett: we should not spec out whacky behaviour on style rules
<dino>	myles_: content that already exists, will access the descriptors inside the rule. So we need a .style property
<dino>	jdaggett: are people actually using this functionality, that's been there since CSS 2. Last time I looked, if you went in and changed the font family, font matching didn't respond correctly.
<dino>	myles_: works in Safari.
<dino>	jdaggett: not in Chrome
<dino>	jdaggett: this is broken in practice.
<dino>	Chris__L: where do we want to go?
<dino>	jdaggett: if you're looking to go to REC, then put something in that says it is not defined and push the OM to CSS 4
<dino>	Chris__L: what you have specced is better, but the implementors don't agree.
<dino>	astearns: we have to move the OM section from Fonts 3 into Fonts 4. any objection?
<dino>	SimonSapin: i am fine with moving the attributes. But the @font-face rule interface exists
<dino>	astearns: we can copy over what is in CSS 2 to Fonts 3, or we can have a section saying that CSS 2 exists but we are not putting it in the spec
<dino>	Chris__L: people seemed to push back that DOM Level 2 is ancient
<dino>	jdaggett: but all the implementations are in the same boat
<dino>	RESOLVED: Remove CSS OM section from Fonts Level 3 to Fonts Level 4
<dino>	SimonSapin: just the attributes?
<dino>	SimonSapin: option - define CSSFontFaceRule, but without any attributes.
<dino>	myles_: why is that valuable?
<dino>	SimonSapin: because you want something to show up in the CSSRules.
<dino>	Florian: is that implemented? pushing it out doesn't mean we don't want it.
<dino>	SimonSapin: CSSFontFaceRule with a style attribute is implemented. The font spec has one attribute for each descriptor.
<dino>	SimonSapin: this comes from DOM Level 2
<dino>	dbaron: if we do this, we should add a note saying that this is actually defined in Fonts 4, but what is currently implemented is defined in DOM Level 2
<dino>	astearns: objections to amending the resolution to leave CSSFontFaceRule and add a Note
<dino>	?
<dino>	RESOLVED: As above, but leave CSSFontFaceRule with a note explaining the current state
```

</details>

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SimonSapin
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/825#issuecomment-295143110 using your GitHub account