Re: [csswg-drafts] [cssom][all specs defining IDL] Consider USVString instead of DOMString, replacing surrogates with U+FFFD

From: Simon Sapin via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 22:25:14 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
That advice is debatable: https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/84

The performance impact is non-zero for implementations that use WTF-16 internally. (Though I don’t know how significant it is.) In 2014 when all vendors at the table were in that case, “Unicode is nicer” by itself was not a good enough reason. However Stylo is now coming to Firefox, hopefully shipping in November 2017. It currently uses UTF-8 without surrogates internally, and given the trade-off (no use case & low estimated web-compat risk v.s. internal API compat issues of using a different string type) this is unlikely to change before shipping. I want at least to give heads up to the WG that Firefox will likely deviate from currently-interoperable behavior.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SimonSapin
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1217#issuecomment-294321292 using your GitHub account