Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ruby][css-display] Are ruby containers atomic? Specs contradict

From: SelenIT via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 09:54:30 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yes, the ruby formatting context appears to be an exception from the general rule that the inline-level box that establishes a new formatting context is usually atomic. Ruby containers can [break between lines](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ruby-1/#line-breaks), so they are definitely non-atomic.

I suppose that the CSS Display spec should be changed to something like
> An inline-level box that is replaced or that establishes a new block, flexbox, grid, or table formatting context

An inline-level element can't establish the inline formatting context, and establishing ruby formatting context doesn't make an inline-level box atomic. If new formatting contexts that make inline-level boxes atomic appear in the future, they should be explicitly added to that list.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SelenIT
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1180#issuecomment-292493785 using your GitHub account