[csswg-drafts] [css-grid]Grid Area Section 9. not logically consistant with Section 3.3 definition of Grid Area

From: Smartdog via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2017 21:16:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
sunright has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-grid]Grid Area Section 9. not logically consistant with Section 3.3 definition of Grid Area ==
Requesting/suggesting Editorial clarity of spec in Section 9. vs Section 3.3

First sentence of Section 9 seems to suggest that **grid areas** are **rectanglar set of grid cells** this is not logically consistent with Section 3.3 second sentence that defines grid area as made up of **one or more adjacent grid cells**.

Please see the links below for the evidence:

[CSS-Grid] **Section 9:** [Placing Grid Items](https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/#placement):

Please click the link "[grid area](https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/#grid-area)" to section 3.3 Grid Areas
[CSS-Grid] **Section 3.3** [Grid Areas](https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/#grid-area):

> A grid area is the logical space used to lay out one or more grid items. A grid area consists of one or more adjecent grid cells.

Just to make the point stronger, please see the definition of [grid cell](https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/#grid-cell)

So if [grid cell](https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/#grid-cell) is the smallest unit of the grid that can be referenced when positioning grid items and [Grid Areas](https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/#grid-area) is consists of one or more adjacent grid cells, then section 9 assertion an grid area is a rectangular set of grid cells that the grid item occupies should be reworded in some manner.

I would suggest the correction be something like:

_Every grid item has a grid area, a rectangular region of one or more cells that the grid item occupies._
- removed the word "set" because it suggest two of something in the css grid spec most of the time
- used the word "region' because it would work naturally with section 7.3 note (just above example 20)
- the word "cell" now absolutlly means ---more then one cell

We all learn by sharing what we know
Robert A. DiBlasi

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1159 using your GitHub account