[csswg-drafts] [css-values] cap-height unit?

From: Thomas Bredin-Grey via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 03:33:13 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
tbredin has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-values] cap-height unit? ==
I've just found out about the `ch` and `ex` units described here:
https://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#relative-lengths

Cap height: This is something that could become extremely useful in
vertical rhythm projects such as
[Sassline](https://github.com/jakegiltsoff/sassline) and
[MegaType](https://github.com/studiothick/megatype), which go to great
 length to attempt to find this height through other means (plus a lot
 of manual config adjustment). When combined with `ex`, we also start
to build up a very useful picture of a font's vertical metrics.

The best measure of this is usually the height of a capital `H` in any
 font, but could likely also fall back to `I` or `X`.

Is this something that might be considered in future?

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/660 using your GitHub
account