Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries] Media Feature: "reduce motion" user setting

> Last suggestion breaks the Boolean context.

Sorry, I was under the assumption that if there was no `none` value,
the valueless shorthand wouldn’t work, hence my comment “that
necessarily makes the valueless shorthand less useful.” I may have
understood this.

Can you define what is “truthy” for the valueless version? I admit to
not having dug through the media query spec to understand this better,
 but your [earlier comment about
`default`](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/442#issuecomment-249440703)
 makes it sound like you can. (Or did you just mean there would still
be a `none` value that is equivalent to `default`?)

If so, why wouldn’t `yes/all/whatever` be the “truthy” value in the
boolean context instead of `reduced`? Apologies if my unfamiliarity
with the real specifics of this part of media queries may have led me
to a bad suggestion.

> Not certain I understand the double negative concern. You wrote:
>> (E.g. prefers-reduced-motion: none)
>
> …but that is not being proposed.

Ah! Somehow I had misunderstood that that was where this landed since
there was lots of `none` discussion after your initial comment. I may
have been reacting to @tabatkins’s
[comment](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/442#issuecomment-248345057):

> `(reduce-motion: none)` says "don't reduce any motion"

…which I did not find to be clear and triggered my double negative
concern. On a closer reading of your comments, I’m not sure we
actually disagree very much here :)

At the end of the day, though, I still look at a feature marked
`prefers-reduced-motion` as conceptually saying
`please-dont-give-me-motion: yes | no`. We both agree `none` for the
“no” value is pretty confusing. I’m not sure `default` is wonderful
because it reads to me more like `auto` or `initial`—that it’s saying
“whatever you’d normally do” rather than explicitly “give me
motion”—but I agree it’s much better than `none`. I can’t really think
 of something else better, though, since we are fundamentally talking
about finding a value that communicates “no, give me motion.”

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Mr0grog
Please view or discuss this issue at