[csswg-drafts] [css-values] Ability to address actual physical size

From: Nick Sherman via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 22:57:49 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
nicksherman has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-values] Ability to address actual physical size ==
The lack of ability to address physical size in any meaningful way is
one of the most glaring issues with CSS today. I wrote an article a
few years ago explaining why:
http://alistapart.com/column/responsive-typography-is-a-physical-discipline

Especially if there is any expectation that CSS will ever be used
beyond the world of web design, the ability to specify and query
physical size is crucial.

I realize it may now be too late to change the definition of what
`in`, `cm`, `px`, etc refer to in CSS without breaking a lot of
things. But that doesn’t mean there can’t be new units introduced to
refer specifically to real physical values.

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/614 using your GitHub
account