Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Automatic minimum size clamping by grid area should transfer through aspect ratio

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 07:15:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Keep in mind that we're clamping a minimum size! Not the actual size.
:) Defining it in terms of `max-width/height` wouldn't make any sense.
 (And the interaction with `max-width/height` isn't underdefined:
`max-width/height` reduces the automatic minimum if necessary, that's
clearly specified in the definition.)

The specified size is a maximum on that minimum -- it's there so that
if the specified size is less than the intrinsic size, then we use the
 specified size as the minimum instead. A specified size doesn't
increase the automatic minimum: we take the most conservative minimum
as the automatic minimum, so it's min(specified size, content size) if
 there's a specified size and min(transferred size, content size) if
there isn't but there's an aspect ratio, and simply content size if
neither specified size nor transferred size exist.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/767#issuecomment-263106346