Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-flexbox][css-align][css-grid] Incompatible spec for align-self computed value when 'auto'

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 03:54:31 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think the key limitations leading to this were that a)
absolutely-positioned boxes need auto to compute to itself whereas all
 other boxes take the value from the parent's align-items, making the
computation depend on `position`, and b) Gecko folks don't like
cross-property computed value dependencies. Since neither animation
nor inheritance provide significant use cases here that we need to
consider, we went with the route that yields less accurate computed
values in favor of ease-of-implementation.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/644#issuecomment-262876265