Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] Specifying changes to parameters for fallback fonts

From: Martin Dürst via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 04:06:53 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
On 2016/05/29 11:11, Liam Quin wrote:

> Selecting based on platform is not the right approach though - e.g.
Richard left out Linux or Android, and desktop macs have different
fonts perhaps than iphones, as do differing versions of Microsoft
Windows. And many users have fonts that are from different platforms,
whether from dual booting or (probably much more often) from
installing applications that in turn installed fonts.  The test should
 be for specific versions of fonts, or at the least specific foundries
 an capabilities (just like writing portable C or C++ tests for
features, not for platform).

I have only a vague recollection, but doesn't the X11 windowing system

have information such as foundry,...? I don't think we can use that
system as is, but maybe we get some additional hints out of it.

Regards,   Martin.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by duerst
Please view or discuss this issue at