Re: [csswg-drafts] Some property definitions for shorthands should not say 'see individual properties'

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 07:28:35 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I am not sure I understand what it implies for shorthand to be
described as having initial values, instead of just defering that to
their longhands.

It terms of cascading and inheritance, only longhand initial values
matter. The 'initial' keyword can be described in a way that makes it
work for shorthand in terms of its longhangs, without them having an
independent initial value.

For documentation and teaching purposes, expressing directly what the
initial value of a shorthand is may be useful, but it is fully a
consequence of the longhand values, not a separate normative
requirement, so it feels it would belong in a note of some kind.

Or am I missing something?

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/223#issuecomment-227971458