Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] Unnecessary comma in color()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 16:54:28 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
No, we need the slash in color() (because it takes a variable number
of colorspace parameters, making it difficult to tell whether there's
an alpha or not), and it's worthwhile to make everything use the same
syntax to aid in learning.  (It's very annoying and error-prone, even
for experienced people, if very similar constructs use subtly
different syntaxes.)  All the 3/4-argument functions don't really
*need* the slash, I agree, but it doesn't hurt either; it just make it
 extra-obvious that there's an alpha or not.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/266#issuecomment-235956265