[csswg-drafts] [css-animations] Behavior when keyframe identifier is duplicated in animation-name

From: Matt Rakow via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 19:43:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
ChumpChief has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-animations] Behavior when keyframe identifier is duplicated in
 animation-name ==
Spec: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-animations-1/#animation-name

Chrome and Firefox both support duplicate usage of a keyframe
identifier in animation-name, while Edge does not (uses the last in
the list instead).  We've seen a handful of sites relying on this
behavior to perform multiple "iterations" with varying durations
and/or delays.

Example of this pattern:
https://jsfiddle.net/435c36qL/

It would be good to clarify this behavior in the spec.  Particularly
since the last resolution I could find on this subject seemed to
resolve the opposite -- that only the last should apply:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/0261.html

An added statement to the animation-name section along these lines
would help I think:
"Multiple occurrences of the same keyframe name are allowed, and each
defines a separate animation."

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/342 using your GitHub
account