Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-align][css-grid][css-flexbox] wrong assumptions about baselines only occurring in the inline axis

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 22:32:03 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Sorry for taking so long to fix this, it took us awhile to actually
think things through. Here are the edits:

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/3877c16e82d541e7640c9cb328c028e40f5d6ffc
We think we've fixed everything as you suggested. The one thing to
note is that we added a distinction between “natural” baselines and
“synthesized” baselines. This is because synthesizing block-axis
baselines makes no sense in most cases--you'd actually want to use the
 fallback alignment in such cases. (This is what Flexbox was doing,
where it was selecting only items with inline axis == main axis.)
However, some situations (mainly inline-level layout) requires
baselines to always be present, and synthesizes them if they're
missing.

Let us know if there's anything amiss with the edits, or if this seems
 problematic.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/197#issuecomment-233786649
using your GitHub account