Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Implied Minimum Size of Grid Items

From: Manuel Rego Casasnovas via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 21:02:39 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
About author expectations I don't really know what they would be
expecting in this situation. Just to make it clear, I'm attaching an
[example](http://jsbin.com/rokexa/1/edit?html,css,output) of a 20px x
20px Flexbox and Grid to show the difference between both. Flexbox
applies `min-size: auto;` only in 1 axis and Grid where it applies in
both axis.

![min-size: auto applying in 1 (flexbox) or both axis
(grid)](https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/11602/16929973/7cfba05e-4d3a-11e6-8d7b-79321d837ccf.png)

About your comment:
> The min-width/height: auto behavior was added in part for handling
auto-minimum-sized tracks--to make their content-based minimum more
configurable.

I'm not sure if I'm getting it or not. Do you mean that when you use
`min-content` for a track size, it doesn't use the `min-size` but it
uses the content; and if you use `auto` for the track size, it checks
the `min-size` and uses it (and when `min-size` is `auto` the behavior
 is equivalent to `min-content`)?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by mrego
Please view or discuss this issue at