Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Add <number-optional-number> type

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:09:54 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I don't know if we want to canonicalize the SVG "commas wherever you
want" behavior in the grammar; making it slightly more annoying to
type might help keep this from spreading to new things, so we can
standardize on normal CSS behavior over time.

(For `<foo>+#`, we're gonna just add the `+#` combinator to V&U, so
Bikeshedded specs will link to it automatically.)

If we were to standardize "comma or not whatever lol", I'd prefer
hitting it directly. We already have `+#` for the "list of
optional-comma things" (and theoretically could have `+#{1,2}`), we
could make `<foo> ,? <bar>` directly indicate that the comma is
optional.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/385#issuecomment-240442787