Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-positioning] position: fixed within a stacking context

From: Valdrin Koshi via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 00:17:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
My tests were done with `position: fixed` on `.container`.
I just tried with `position: sticky` and see cropping only on safari
http://jsbin.com/zivofer/2/edit?html,output

Aside: I'm working on an overlay custom element; it should be capable
of rendering on top of the other content when opened (like `<dialog>,
<select>`, or the tooltips rendering the `alt` attribute value). I
rely on `position: fixed` to have it positioned in the viewport and
`z-index` for rendering on top of the content. The above mentioned
native elements (dialog, select) are stacking-context agnostic, in the
 sense that are not cropped, nor participate to the scrolling, and are
 always rendered on top of everything. I couldn't find a way to access
 to this **magic** through css yet, the only way is to ask the users
of my element to declare it in a stacking-context-safe parent 😞

--
GitHub Notification of comment by valdrinkoshi
Please view or discuss this issue at