[csswg-drafts] [css-shapes] Serialization of computed value of <position> in circle() and ellipse() function

From: Xidorn Quan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:20:12 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
upsuper has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-shapes] Serialization of computed value of <position> in
circle() and ellipse() function ==
If I specify `circle(0px at 0px 0px)`, how should the computed value
looks like after serialization?

In "3.2. Computed Values of Basic Shapes", the spec says:
>  A `<position>` value in `circle()` or `ellipse()` is computed as a
pair of offsets (horizontal then vertical) from the top left origin,
each given as a combination of an absolute length and a percentage.

It seems to me that means the value would be computed to something
like `circle(0px at calc(0px + 0%) calc(0px + 0%))`, and eventually
serialized in this form.

This matches Gecko's current implementation, and I do think having the
 computed value in a most general form makes sense, but I'm not
completely sure whether this is the desired result.

I'm confused because the section "3.3. Serialization of Basic Shapes"
states
> avoiding calc() expressions where possible, avoiding calc()
transformations

but I guess that wouldn't change the result of serialization of
computed value, as the computed value has already been in a form with
`calc()`. Is that correct?

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/402 using your GitHub
account