Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-4] Can't have 'not', 'and' and 'or' at the same level

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 17:13:42 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
On 06/14/2016 10:55 PM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> I think it is pretty confusing with |not| as well. Binding strongly
as in other languages sounds reasonable at first, but then
> you have to consider that in the legacy syntax |@media not screen
and (width: 12345px) {...}| it binds more weakly than |and|.

> Morality: don't guess, and stick parentheses in there, which is why
we resolved to require them. (Can't find the link right
> now, but I am pretty sure we have a resolution a few years back).

Given we've had media queries for awhile now, the correct thing
to do is whatever Media Queries Level 3 and its implementations
do. Anything else is likely to cause confusion, by having MQs
that work in new browsers but not old ones or vice versa.

~fantasai

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/185#issuecomment-236974128