Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color-4] backgroundColor

From: Xidorn Quan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 10:26:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
FWIW, your example actually doesn't match what you were expecting,
because `background-color` is not inherited by default, and thus
`backgroundColor` in your example is actually `transparent`. (Even if
it is inherited by default, your `background` would override that
value as well.) This can be fixed by adding `background-color:
inherited` explicitly, though.

I doubt its usefulness. Is there any other usecase? In this example,
things would not work if the background underneath is an image, or
even a gradient. And this simple usecase can easily be achieved via a
common variable. This very limited usecase doesn't look very
convincing to me.

Also given that you made this mistake when you wrote the example (I'm
not blaming you, but), I suspect this setting isn't as intuitive as it
 looks like, which would also be a problem.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/364#issuecomment-236544855