Re: Could the Wisdom of Crowds Help Fix Social Media’s Trust Problem?

> "The paper’s main conclusion is straightforward: Social media platforms
> like Facebook and Twitter could use a crowd-based system to dramatically
> and cheaply scale up their fact-checking operations without sacrificing
> accuracy.  (The laypeople in the study were paid $9 per hour, which
> translated to a cost of about $.90 per article.)

Given this unsurprising result, it seems to me that social media platforms'
content assessment efforts would benefit greatly if it were possible for
any layperson to associate with online content an annotation containing
credibility signals or a more in-depth ClaimReview-like assessment. Of
course, if such a capability existed, social media platforms could get
access to the laypersons' assessments for free, rather than spending
$9/each...

The way this might work would be to have a panel of trusted professional
content assessors who were directed to do detailed, careful assessments of
content that the lay community was flagging as controversial. Assuming that
the professional's assessments were "trusted," the assessments of
individuals would then be scored according to their tendency to agree with
the professionals. In cases where professionals didn't have the bandwidth
to assess content, but there were layperson assessments created by those
who had a track-record of high agreement with the professionals, the
layperson assessments might be at least temporarily trusted without prior
confirmation by a professional reassessment. In this way, the scope of
material which was assessed could be increased to a scale much larger than
could be reasonably handled by the professional fact checkers working on
their own. Of course, one nice thing about such a process is that it might
lead to publishing "scores" for at least some of the lay assessors and
those scores could be published as Credibility SIgnals. High-scoring
lay-assessors might then monetize their reputations by using them to obtain
employment as paid, professional assessors... There is a whole
eco-system of impacts that could arise from enabling broad community-based
assessment of claims and credibility.

bob wyman