Re: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

Hi all,
jumping in on the discussion, I generally agree with Bob Wyman’s point, and Alan Karp’s remark.

As I argued in one of our calls, I think credibility signals should be used to allow some consumer of information to ultimately convert these signals into a belief that will enable some action. This is what I understand that Adam means when exemplifying: “depositing money in my account”, “allowing my sister to take care of my children” - or “retweeting some information”, “lending money to someone”, “storm the Capitol”, etc... The action being considered typically includes parameters, e.g., : the amount of money  I’ll deposit"; how long will I leave my children with my sister”, “how much money will I lend”. The degree of credibility I will require about the information I will use to take these actions is different in each case -  e,g, I may require little background info to lend $10, but a lot more to lend $1000.
The action being considered may not necessarily be temporally close to the moment I consume the information, but the credibility signals are really only relevant when I take (or not) the action. In other words, these signals remain “latent” until that moment.

In many cases, I will attribute a (high) credibility score for people/organizations with which I share moral/ethical/personal values, often in contradiction to “facts” - i.e, claims made by some sources that I would otherwise accept as true, but I don’t because they contradict my personal values. There are empirical evidences that people operate this way.

So I don’t think we need an infrastructure that characterizes trust by context for each possible context, as I understood Dave Karger puts it, and is clearly impractical, but more that we should surface as many indicators as possible (including meta-data such as provenance chains) that would feed into each person’s decision process (ie, applying one’s own trust policies) in order to take some action based on that information. This way, each person builds their own “trust chains” that are aligned with their values.

Cheers
Daniel