Re: Twitter Birdwatch: user annotation for credibility, truth, etc.

This still puts a lot of burden on the public to 'discern' the truth. Frankly,
I'm more for that because then we can start having really interesting
discussions about the world.

However, that's a very utopia-esque view. Even Wikipedia, heralded as the
world's encyclopedia, is mainly edited by companies and governments that twist
facts into 'truth' and then gets fed into 'smart agents'. There's light
auditing of the editors and people aren't as inclined to click every link and
then search for alternate sources to determine which is legitimate / telling
the whole story.

The idea of being to digitize truth or credibility in this case, isn't
realistic. However, I can see this group producing a more solid alternative -
allowing self-verification and cross-verification of sources (like independent
journalists _and_ big media) that can give people a _chance_ to see as many
sides as possible to a situation.

(This is a longer-winded form of what I understood from Tom Jones' comment as
well as some thoughts of mine re: the world, content and silos like Twitter
and Facebook - which I appreciate - trust, truth and facts have become
disgustingly tricky to handle nowadays).

On Monday, January 25, 2021 9:39:35 PM PST Tom Jones wrote:

> sorry - i misspoke.
> let's try again.
> 1. some statement is made on an ethical web site.
> 2. the statement is challenged by whatever means that site allows.
> 3. the statement is removed until the poster gets a link that supports it.
(note i did not say trusted this time.)
> 4.The statement is reposted with the link.
> 5. now anyone that sees the statement can make their own evaluation as to
the trustworthiness of the link.

> Peace ..tom

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Jacky Alcine <yo@jacky.wtf> wrote:

Sadly trusted is subjective because, as history has shown, people will use
"data" to their own means. See eugenics and scientific racism (both proven
false and still upheld as truth by a lot of people).

So no, it won't since this is a place that demands validation and results and
it's harder to be a bigot in 2021 (thankfully or I'd be dead thanks to racism
and xenophobia).

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021, at 20:28, Tom Jones wrote:
> this will wind up as a fight between the lablers of the left and the right.
> would it not be better to ask users to post to a trusted source instead?
> Peace ..tom
>

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 5:38 PM Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us[1]> wrote:
> > Today, Twitter launched Birdwatch <https://twitter.github.io/birdwatch/
[2]> a system which, I think, should be relevant to the work of this group:

> >> "Birdwatch allows people to identify information in Tweets they believe
is misleading and write notes that provide informative context. We believe
this approach has the potential to respond quickly when misleading information
spreads, adding context that people trust and find valuable. Eventually we aim
to make notes visible directly on Tweets for the global Twitter audience, when
there is consensus from a broad and diverse set of contributors." Keith
Coleman, Twitter Vice President of Product in "Introducing Birdwatch, a
community-based approach to misinformation <https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/
topics/product/2021/introducing-birdwatch-a-community-based-approach-to-
misinformation.html[3]>."

> > Has anyone had a chance to review Birdwatch? What do you think?
> >
> > Useful links:
> >  * Birdwatch Guide on GitHub <https://twitter.github.io/birdwatch/[2]>
> >  * Birdwatch on Twitter <https://twitter.com/i/birdwatch[4]> (signup to
trial, see recent annotated tweets, etc.)

--------
[1] mailto:bob@wyman.us
[2] https://twitter.github.io/birdwatch/
[3] https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/product/2021/introducing-birdwatch-a-community-based-approach-to-misinformation.html