RE: Why has CredWeb been silent when it is now needed more than ever?

Hi all – working my way through this, and I may have missed some branches of the discussion here.

I completely agree with the idea that rules/systems/standards about process, provenance, supply chain, identity transparency, information construction and distribution are highly interesting and tenable. By the same token, prescriptions around the argumentation, factuality, truthfulness, fallacy, fact vs opinion labeling, argument fairness are, to me, generally uninteresting and untenable except for certain corner cases.  (In that sense, from a superficial reading, Twitter seems to have the wrong end of the stick in their approach).  I also really like processing latency rules, like the ‘Good friction’ ideas that I heard Aviv say something about some months ago, and I saw Subbu tweet something about this more recently. I think these can be really impactful, and not that hard to define and implement.

My ideas on these sorts of process rules (to be contrasted with content substance rules) are in this paper <https://docs.google.com/document/d/11wXSa5EMSgsJXlPK5Q_ykBQbdH9imDHJLg3G2yaHK-g/edit#heading=h.kfmgr5unlgpz>  I wrote more than a year ago to motivate conversations in the CA state legislature (slowly ongoing).   I haven’t read some of the other references linked to in the thread, and I’ll try and do that.

I’m happy to jump into further discussion to explore alignment on doing something concrete and impactful.  Thanks for restarting this.

Chandran Sankaran
650 740 8755

(Full disclosure, I am also building a for-profit benefit corporation  Repustar <https://repustar.com/Repustar>  that is attempting to open up, standardize and democratize notions of fact-checking.)