Re: credibility networks (was Re: Is Alice, or her post, credible? (A really rough use case for credibility signals.))

As an additional thought, perhaps to bridge the exchange between Annette
and Bob, and Sandro: one aspect that I see missing in the scenario below is
the underlying knowledge/perspective framework or approach that ties
signals together: could be understood as a schema or rubric.  This is a
different way to tie signals together from trust networks, and is probably
underlying those relationships.

What I mean by this is: all of the signals proposed are meant to be
understood as potential indications of credibility, but they only gain
meaning when some of them brought together in a specific interpretive
framework.  Implicit in the development of many of the current signals
proposed is belief, or trust, in a scientific method of evidence and
evaluation of claims using methods such as verifiability. It's also tied to
things like expertise and the development of professions.

This framework of knowledge is different than a moral order that trusts
inherited wisdom, or tradition, for example.  (I'm going to sidestep the
elites for now since the power dynamic depends on what kind of elite one
is.) Just because they are different does mean that they can't in fact
share one or more signals, but the dominance of certain signals over others
I think varies.  And because we aren't always consistent, we may hold both
of these or more frameworks given a certain context or topic.

So I guess I see Bob's suggestion as much in the line of a number of
crowdsourced wisdom projects, which can be valuable.  When you think of
historical or even current examples, such as genocide reporting, it's very
critical to include as many on-the-ground reports as possible, even as
those claims also need to be validated as much as possible. In these
contexts, there are many indications of what makes for credible witness
reports which isn't the same as expertise.

But in some cases, on some topics, you can't go with any crowd
<https://wearecommons.us/crowd-wisdom-public-wisdom-regarding-misinformation-at-large/>.
That is at least if you hold to for example a scientific method of
evaluation and validation.  As with Annette, I have no problem with
deferring to expertise understood in this framework, and think it's even
worth being explicit about the theoretical framework: X claim works if you
believe or agree with Y approach.

My assumption in the cases of when something is complicated, or new to me
is to agree with Sandro but to add on a little more: if he tells me someone
is good at something, I'll likely think that someone is good, but what's
driving this is trust from experience in his knowledge about certain things
at certain times at certain topics (back to the framework or approach).

Thoughts?

One article that I recently came across seems related --  I just started
working through it -- is "Beyond subjective and objective in statistics" by
Andrew Gelman and Christian Hennig with a number of responses including by
L.A. Paul so sharing in case of interest
https://www.lapaul.org/papers/objectSubjectPerspectives.pdf

--connie

--
connie moon sehat