Re: Trust.txt: Why another random .txt when we've got WebFinger and well-known URIs?

Adee.
You wrote:

> "try to collaborate more with other W3C community efforts so there is
> synergy for a credibility standard."

I think you are right that greater cooperation with other W3C efforts would
be useful. I'm sure that there has been some such cooperation, but I'm new
to the group and thus don't know the full history. Hopefully, any such
cooperation will continue and grow in the future. What other efforts do you
think this group should work with? I suggest that the Credentials, Social,
and Annotation groups would all be important.

I've been somewhat concerned about the current Credibility Signals document
since it defines a number of signals that seem to be things that should be
communicated by reference to the sort of verifiable credential that is
being defined by the Credentials group
<https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/>. I may be missing something,
but it doesn't seem obvious how one would use the Award, Pulitzer Price, or
RNG Prize signals to reference a Credential if some organization had issued
one. (I see that on could do a search of the files referenced in the
document's examples, but that is kind of crude. e.g.
https://rngfoundation.com/awards/pastawards/2018.html ) It would be much
more elegant to link to or embed a credential if available.

Another example of the use of credentials comes from studying the trust.txt
specification. It is fine to allow a site to declare that it controls some
other site, but that claim is not really credible if the controlled site
hasn't published a "controlledby" property to confirm the statement. An
alternative method for handling the statement of this relationship would be
to have the sites publish credentials that express that relationship. Such
credentials would be more useful than the trust.txt mechanism since those
credentials would still have informative value when copied outside the
well-known locations where they might initially be found. (i.e. I could
write an email saying: "I believe site X controls site Y because I found
the enclosed credential on 1 Aug 2021.")

There are many other groups that can contribute to addressing the
credibility problem. You're right to stress that point.

bob wyman

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 8:27 PM Adeel <aahmad1811@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> included in a WebFinger file. These signals include:
>>
>>    - Date Website First Archived
>>    - Corrections Policy
>>    - Any Award
>>    - Pulitzer Prize Recognition
>>    - RNG Awards
>>
>> The choice here is: Should we call for trust.txt to be updated to include
>> these signals, and any others that might be defined in the future, or,
>> should we simply provide definitions of the JSON Resource Descriptors
>> (JRD's) or other encodings and thus, by implication enable those signals to
>> be supported in any format that supports those encodings? I suggest that
>> the more useful approach is to define what the signals mean and how they
>> should be encoded and then rely others to find the various places where
>> those encodings would be most useful. I this approach had been used in
>> defining trust.txt, then all the various signals supported there, which are
>> not defined by CredWeb, would be easily used by anyone who is also using
>> CredWeb signals. (Being able to say: "I control the website xxx.xxx." is
>> useful in more contexts than just that defined by trust.txt.)
>>
>> bob wyman
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 2:58 PM Scott Yates <scott@journallist.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Bob, and the group...
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, I am not running on a platform of trust.txt.
>>>
>>> On page 8 of the spec., we encourage the use of "/well-known" so we are
>>> clearly not against that.
>>>
>>> The short answer to why we went with a text file is that we are working
>>> with some extremely unsophisticated publishers. Take, for instance, the
>>> publisher of the Hays Free Press, whom I met recently in Texas. She prints
>>> news from her town on paper once a week, and maintains a website. As we all
>>> know, when local news dies, news consumers fill in that vacuum with crap.
>>> If she stops publishing, well, it would be bad, so we want to make things
>>> as easy as possible for her and those like her doing the esteemable work of
>>> keeping local journalism alive.
>>>
>>> In my conversation with her, she was willing to post a file
>>> <https://haysfreepress.com/trust.txt> in part because she already knew
>>> about ads.txt, and so this was familiar to her. If I tried to start telling
>>> her about RFC 7033, I would have lost her for sure. You are certainly right
>>> that JRDs would be technically superior, but robots.txt has been around for
>>> 20+ years and the most entry-level web publisher knows about how it works.
>>>

>>> Thank you for looking into trust.txt, and while I don't want people to
>>> vote for me based on what they think of trust.txt, I think your question
>>> serves as a useful model of why I am running. If you think that any new
>>> proposal that is working to fix disinformation should follow, for example,
>>> the most current standardized systems, you should voice that to the group.
>>> If the group agrees, then that will be a part of how trust.txt -- and every
>>> other effort out there -- will be evaluated.

>>> JournalList.net, caretaker of the trust.txt framework