Machine-Readable Performance

Annette, OMB Circular A-11
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/a11.pdf> provides
the following definition:

    Machine Readable Format. Format in a standard computer language (not
    English text) that can be read automatically by a web browser or
    computer system. (e.g., xml). Traditional word processing documents,
    hypertext markup language (HTML) and portable document format (PDF)
    files are easily read by humans but typically are difficult for
    machines to interpret. Other formats such as extensible markup
    language (XML), (JSON), or spreadsheets with header columns that can
    be exported as comma separated values (CSV) are machine readable
    formats. It is possible to make traditional word processing
    documents and other formats machine readable but the documents must
    include enhanced structural elements.

Unfortunately, Circular A-11 has been published in PDF so I cannot
directly reference that provision. However, I have converted part of it
to StratML format so I can point directly to this key section
<https://stratml.us/carmel/iso/A11-240wStyle.xml#_aada4d70-a90a-11e9-a082-d69e4d1a686a>,
in which OMB has finally committed to piloting implementation of section
10 of GPRAMA with a few agencies this fiscal year.

Yes, technically speaking, GPRAMA only applies to Federal agencies.
However, that is a poor and bureaucratic excuse for failing to apply a
good practice, particularly when public funding is involved.  The OPEN
Government Data Act (OGDA
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/open-gov-data-act-machine-readable-records-owen-ambur/>)
extends that good practice to all government records.  Moreover, the
Grant Reporting Efficiency and Agreements Transparency Act
<https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/150> of 2019
requires the establishment and use of data standards for information
reported by recipients of federal grants.  Why should the national labs
be excluded?  Should they not instead be helping to lead the way?

A case can also be made that contracts should be written as performance
plans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance-based_contracting
StratML Part 2 <https://stratml.us/#Part2> is an XML vocabulary and
schema for performance plans and reports.

What is credibility if not a measure of the quality of performance?
Without such data, isn't anyone's opinion (belief) as good as anyone
else's? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credibility Short cuts may lead to
predictably bad results.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequentialism versus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deontological_ethics As the saying goes,
the road to hell
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_road_to_hell_is_paved_with_good_intentions>
... (and some politicians seem hell-bent on taking us there).

As unlikely as it may be, it appears Congress is far ahead of "many
contractors" and perhaps most laureates in recognizing the importance of
open, standard, machine-readable documents (records).

Owen