Re: to recycle old and inactive CG (Community I/O) or to propose new one (Collaborative Economy)?

Hi Pavlik (and All),

Good call!...

On 20 Aug 2015, at 13:07, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask for advice on what online venue I should use for a
> very particular collaboration.
>
> Long time ago I created Community I/O Community Group
> https://www.w3.org/community/community-io

I like the idea of recycling old/unused venues and making them used. But I'm unsure if you mean changing the name of community-io to collecon (or even if that's possible). Or moving members of community-io to a new collecon group. If you/we decide to create a new group then may be good housekeeping to kill off the old unused ones. That said I like "IO". ;-) Perhaps collaboration-io?

> After some attempts to collaborate, it became inactive for long time. I
> also realize now that I set context way to broad and not related to any
> already established concept.
>
> Lately a lot of very relevant work happens around topic of
> *Collaborative Economy*. Also W3C Social Activity (WG & IG) launched and
> superseded Federated Social Web CG. It also references Social Business
> Community Group, which closed last year.
> https://www.w3.org/community/socbizcg
>
> I cc Harry since he gave talk during OuiShare Labs Camp 2014 in Paris,
> and could see growing interest among people working with Collaborative
> (Sharing) Economy online platforms, to build them in more interoperable
> way. Video from "Decentralized Tools and Networks for Communities" panel
> https://youtu.be/3vubqzjL3fs "
>
> Since than, many new open source project emerged working in field of
> Collaborative Economy and I would like to offer a venue to various
> people who work on them to give more focus to make them gradually more
> interoperable.
>
> I consider proposing Collaborative Economy Community Group, following
> naming used on social media. (for example on twitter
> https://twitter.com/hashtag/CollaborativeEconomy) and using #collecon

I must admit I prefer "Collaboration IO" to "Collaborative Economy". Use #collabio?

But, I guess, if you are trying to appeal to those who are conversant with "Collaborative Economy" (a la OuiShare, Shareable...) then perhaps the more well used/recognised words are more appropriate and better to get engagement and adoption.

Though Kendra Initiative is media and rights focused it is increasingly involved in distributed collaborative systems. So, count https://github.com/kendraio in!

> Few other developers expressed interest to collaborate via
> * https://github.com/ouisharelabs/food-dashboard/issues/1
>
> And use cases like 'Offering asparagus' and 'Demanding help with the
> harvest' will come crucial in this context.
>
> I see couple of options
>
> 1. Starting fresh Collaborative Economy CG and closing Community I/O CG
> 2. Recycling Community I/O and renaming it, plus setting more clear
> context (if possibl)

I'd say do 1. only if 2. is not possible. It's good to start with an existing group of people.

Or if 2 is not possible can users be moved to a new group?

> 3. Working outside of W3C and coordinating with Social IG

Worst option. W3C provides good umbrella.