Re: Media Resource In-band Tracks Community Group Launched

Hi Mark, all.

On 22 Oct 2013, at 18:29, "Vickers, Mark" <Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> Purpose: The purpose of this CG is to draft a spec in the specific area of mapping external specs, like MPEG-TS, to HTML5 in-band media tracks. This cannot be done in the IG because IG's are forbidden by W3C rules from writing specs. […] Membership: Note also that the CG, unlike the IG, allows for direct participation by non-W3C members, which should help with the CG focus on external specs.

The participation argument made sense in the case of the Web & Broadcasting BG, where there was a significant number of non W3C-members wishing to participate in the conversation. It is unclear whether this is the case here.

Regardless, the above sounds more like a case for our IG to become a CG than a genuine need for a new group. Maybe worth an agenda item at the upcoming f2f?

> Focus: The focus of the CG is narrowly on mapping external specs, like MPEG-TS, to HTML5 in-band media tracks, whereas the IG and specifically the Media APIs Task Force (TF) is much more broadly focused.
>
> Specifically, the Media APIs TF could definitely write requirements in the area of mapping external specs to HTML5 in-band media tracks and the CG could turn those requirements into a draft spec. (Likely it could be the same people, in many cases!)

The focus of the CG is a subset of that of the TF, yes. And it may be a good thing to have a spinoff group working on this spec at some point. It is however not sustainable to expect a given group to give input and feedback to itself across several mailing-lists. Having an IG spin off CGs, frankly, sounds like an unnecessary fragmentation burden.

I would like to hear the opinion of the IG - and the Media APIs TF members in particular - about such a setup. I would personally prefer a solution where our IG would become a CG, have the right to go from use cases to draft spec, and then (and only then) spin off WGs whenever necessary.

Olivier

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the