Re: Media Resource In-band Tracks Community Group Launched

On 22 Oct 2013, at 17:07, public-council@w3.org wrote:

> With your support, the Media Resource In-band Tracks Community Group has been launched:
>  http://www.w3.org/community/inbandtracks/

It is surprising that this CG appears to have been proposed, voted up and created without any prior discussion in the web and TV IG:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2013Oct/

Unless I am mistaken, this is rather close in scope to some of the work we are trying to get done in the Media APIs TF, isn't it?

http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs

> This group will develop a specification defining how user agents should
> expose in-band tracks as HTML5 media element video, audio and text
> tracks so that Web applications can access the in-band track
> information, through the media element, in a interoperable manner across
> user agent implementations.
>

> Media formats of interest are MPEG-2 transport stream, WebM and MPEG-4
> file format. Other media formats containing in-band tracks may be
> considered.

This isn't just a case of “Why wasn't I consulted”. I am worried that this will have an impact on the momentum of the Media APIs TF, which we are somewhat struggling to keep up already.

Regards,
--
Olivier

http://www.bbc.co.uk