Re: Some templates started [Was: Missing op agreement warning]

On 22 Jan 2013, at 4:28 PM, Young, Milan wrote:

> [Milan] This is a template I will support with a few modifications:
>
>> "This group does not have a Charter that describes its scope, deliverables,
>> operational rules and decision making process.
> [Milan] Above should start with "Caution:".
>
> Also, this may be a separate topic, but in the above you've lumped scope/deliverables in with operations.  This complicates enforcement a bit, because a group could have a charter which omits operational rules, and they would still need to have this warning label.

I suggest we modify it to take that into account; see below.

>> In order to enable a wide
>> variety of styles of groups, W3C imposes relatively little structure on how the
>> Chair manages a group (see the Process).
> [Milan] I would like to delete the above.  This is not the forum to justify decisions and it obfuscates the real content of the message.

Per earlier discussion I believe it's important to provide context why this is not merely an error. I prefer we keep it. I have provided a shortened version below.

>> Without a Charter, it may be unclear
>> how the group operates or the Chair could change how the group operates
>> without warning.
> [Milan] I prefer "... unclear how the group operates (eg Chair could change how the group operates without notice or justification).

I don't mind the parenthetical. I prefer keeping it simpler here "without notice." I don't think we need to add "justification."

>> W3C strongly encourages groups to operate under a written
>> Charter.
> [Milan] The word "written" should be replaced with "officially posted" or such.

+1

How about this:

"Caution: This group does not have a published Charter that describes important aspects of its operations, such as scope, deliverables, and decision making process. Community Group process imposes little structure on how the Chair manages a group.  As a result, without a Charter, it may be unclear how the group operates (e.g., the Chair could change how the group operates without notice).  W3C strongly encourages groups to operate under a published Charter. "

Ian