Re: Next Steps for W3C Coremob

Le mardi 12 mars 2013 à 18:03 +0000, Josh Soref a écrit :
> > There are a number of benefits to this, in particular that of gaining
> > dedicated W3C team resource.
>
> While this is a single benefit, and while getting Zakim access is
> indeed valuable, I think that it fails to outweigh my concerns below.

Let me maybe give more details about getting access to staff resources
really mean:
* access to a dedicated staff contact
* exposure via the communication reach of W3C (via our home page, press
releases, social media, etc)
* attention from W3C management, W3C Advisory Committee and exposure at
W3C meetings
* explicit work on recruiting new participants from the W3C bizdev team

This may or may not change your evaluation, but I thought that was worth
clarifying.

> If this work is really so important, then perhaps W3 will just have to
> come up with a way to make an exception and allocate those resources
> anyway.

Well, the way W3C determines something is so important it require staff
resources is by creating a Working Group or an Interest Group; I assume
there are too many "so important" topics to easily make exceptions to
that mechanism.

> The second is what applies to an IG see "W3C Patent Policy
> (Disclosure)". I've recently been spending a lot of time talking with
> people about how disclosure affects things (because patents have been
> mentioned in the news over the past week or so), and I'm fairly
> concerned that through a chain of unfortunately interrelated things,
> Disclosure may be seen by management as just as big of a reason not to
> allow someone to join a group as RF granting is.

Ian Jacobs (head of W3C comm) has responded separately on this point:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-council/2013Mar/0009.html

Paraphrasing it, it's not clear that being part of an IG brings any
additional disclosure requirement for a W3C Member.

Dom