Re: New draft of Coremob-2012 published, plus what's next

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:28:13 +0400, Lars Erik Bolstad <lbolstad@opera.com>
wrote:

> Den 24.01.13 07:28, skrev Tobie Langel:
>> On Jan 23, 2013, at 23:22, "Charles McCathie Nevile"
>> <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

FWIW the viewmodes attribute of Widget Packaging and Configuration allows
the app author to *request* modes defined by veiw-modes, in order of
preference: http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#the-viewmodes-attribute

>>> The fullscreen API http://www.w3.org/TR/fullscreen/ allows requesting
>>> fullscreen - but no other form of chromeless.
>> It seems like the fullscreen API is designed to allow part of a
>> website/app to become temporarily full screen e.g. to display a slide
>> show or a movie. The declarative API reinforces that feeling.
>>
>> Is the use cases we're interested in here (fullscreen, chromeless apps)
>> covered by this spec? The abstract is rather vague. ;)

It allows for chromeless fullscreen, but does not support a non-fullscreen
chromeless app.

Since "temporarily full screen" can mean "from when I launch this game
until three days later when I decide to stop playing and have a shower",
and "part of a website/app" can be "everything you see", I think it meets
the fullscreen use case.

> No, the fullscreen API requires the transition to fullscreen mode to be
> user-initiated.

Not quite. It says

[[[
User agents should ensure, e.g. by means of an overlay, that the end user
is aware something is displayed fullscreen. User agents should provide a
means of exiting fullscreen that always works and advertise this to the
user.
]]] (section 7)

I believe (but haven't checked, just going from my quite faulty memory)
that Mozilla's implementation allows an element to request fullscreen, and
effectively asks the user to confirm that choice without requiring that
the user made the request.

cheers

Chaals