RE: New draft of Coremob-2012 published, plus what's next

Tobie wrote:
> I'm sympathetic to the issue but the Network Info API is clearly the wrong
> way of looking at it, imho. I wrote more about this on the DAP mailing
> list recently[1]. If something along these lines (and also much shorter)
> would gather consensus, I'll happily add it to the doc.

I've been advocating this for a while. The only way to determine how good your connection to a server is, is to connect to the server and see how it performs.

I'd love to have a document that I could point people to which explains that. Outlining various ways in which other things don't work (misleading local links - WiFi hotspots, interesting remote links - great firewall of China, mixed links - VPNs, special bandwidth classes - 0.facebook.com, cached content), and explaining how one can get useful information for various classes (<video>, <audio>, Progress Events, XHR, WS:).