Re: Inclusion of overflowScrolling in coremob specification

On 9/14/12 7:25 PM, "Wes Johnston" <wjohnston@mozilla.com> wrote:

>On 09/14/2012 10:22 AM, Tobie Langel wrote:
>> On 9/13/12 2:41 AM, "Wes Johnston" <wjohnston@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as i can tell, overflowScrolling was included in the coremob
>>>spec
>>> and in the current rng.io test suite because of a desire from web
>>> developers to have some means of specifying whether or not elements
>>>that
>>> overflowed allowed scrolling or not. AFAICT, its only implemented on
>>>iOS
>>> Webkit as a way of switching from requiring two-fingers to scroll this
>>> content, to only requiring one. There's also some bits in there about
>>> kinetic panning that aren't well specified.
>> I realized I missed your comment about rng.io.
>>
>> rng.io is a Facebook product. You should file issues[1] against it
>> directly.
>>
>> Note that there's a related issue[2] that has already been opened on the
>> bug tracker.
>>
>> --tobie
>>
>> ---
>> [1]: https://github.com/facebook/rng.io/issues/
>> [2]: https://github.com/facebook/rng.io/issues/27
>>
>Ahh. Thanks. I'll file something there. I'm still concerned about what
>coremob is supprting though. What are you proposing to bring for
>standardization?

I've started discussing this in the WebPerf group[webperf-minutes]. I'm
not sure how to best tackle the standardization aspect of this as a lot of
it are QoI issues. Here are some of the requirements we have:

- Scrolling must be fast and smooth.
- It must trigger a given set of events so content can be prefetched,
computed and appended as the user scrolls towards the bottom of the loaded
content.
- It must allow i/o and computation in the background (without affecting
the smoothness).
- It must allow appending fresh content to the main content while
scrolling (again, without affecting the smoothness).
- It must reliably handle scrolling though a lot of content, including
lots of images.
- It must be possible to capture touch events during scrolling.

I'll post more soon. Comments welcomed.

--tobie
---
[webperf-minutes]: http://www.w3.org/2012/09/12-webperf-minutes.html