Re: Inclusion of overflowScrolling in coremob specification

On 9/13/12 2:41 AM, "Wes Johnston" <wjohnston@mozilla.com> wrote:

>As far as i can tell, overflowScrolling was included in the coremob spec
>and in the current rng.io test suite because of a desire from web
>developers to have some means of specifying whether or not elements that
>overflowed allowed scrolling or not. AFAICT, its only implemented on iOS
>Webkit as a way of switching from requiring two-fingers to scroll this
>content, to only requiring one. There's also some bits in there about
>kinetic panning that aren't well specified.
>
>CSS overflow essentially already provides most of this ability and is
>supported well in at least some mobile browsers. I assume the new
>"overflowScrolling" property was only added by iOS because of some
>previous performance and compatibility problems in webkit?
>
>Can anyone give me a good reason its included in the spec, otherwise, I
>think it should be removed.

It's actually not in the spec[1] which only references ISSUE-11[2] (that
says that momentum scrolling is a highly desired, yet unspecified feature).

There's ACTION-14[3] on myself to bring this for standardization to the
relevant WG(s?) which I'll be doing shortly.

--tobie

---
[1]: http://coremob.github.com/coremob-2012/
[2]: http://www.w3.org/community/coremob/track/issues/11