Re: Rough first draft of Level 0

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, jeanfrancois.moy@orange.com wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>
>     • Do platforms other than iOS support these, or plan to?
>

> I don't think other platforms implement these meta tags. The only meta tag I know is supported by Android is apple-touch-icon-precomposed that defines the icon to be used when a shortcut on a
> bookmark is added on the Home Screen. I think it would be nice however to put them in the ring 1 as there is no real alternative to these right now.

This seems like an "when all you have is a hammer..." approach. If there
are proprietary features that are not part of the de-facto platform (i.e.
that have not been adopted by multiple vendors) but that provide
functionality that we would like, encouraging people to reverse engineer
the proprietary feature by putting them in a high-profile wishlist is not
the correct response. The right thing to do is to ensure that there is
equivalent functionality on the standards track with multi-vendor buy in.