Re: coremob-ISSUE-8: No spec to point to for Full-screen mode. [COREMOB-1]

On 6/19/12 11:36 AM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com> wrote:

>On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:11 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
>Actually, we have to think a little bit beyond this being equal to
>view-mode=fullscreen. On (most) mobile devices, since every application
>is always full screen, when you remove the chrome you get a full screen
>application. But on anything that has an windowing system, there's a
>difference. I think that what's wanted here is view-mode=chromeless,
>which in a windowed environment would give you an app without chrome but
>not necessarily occupying the entire screen. And, of course, a way of
>requesting that a given view-mode be activated.

Isn't that already described by the [floating view-mode]?

Taking your point further, however, it feels like what you're ultimately
saying is that having chrome and being full-screen are two independent
properties. In which case, shouldn't we just have a `viewMode`
('full-screen, minimized, etc.) property and a boolean `chrome` property?

Also, this seems like the wrong channel to have this conversation.

>>> I feel like a declarative API would be better for this.
>>
>> So being able to request a view-mode? That's in the widgets P&C
>>although it sounds like there is a goal to seperate config from
>>packaging and be able to use live web content. That has been expressed
>>before (and is the conceptual difference between widgets on the one hand
>>appcache and the proposed JSON packaging manifest offers on the other,
>>the rest being a matter of syntax and implementation quality).
>>
>> The place for that might be the native-web-apps community group.
>
>Why could this not be an additional view-mode, which could be included in
>the application configuration that WebApps is working on?

My point exactly.

--tobie

---
[floating view-mode]: http://www.w3.org/TR/view-mode/#dfn-floating