RE: Network Information Use Cases

Dan Sun wrote:
> Please refer to SysApps WG Charter [1] about Network Interface API or do I
> misunderstand it?

You're referencing a vaporware specification. Core Mob has agreed to only reference W3 Specifications that are published (or very close to published).
The Network API that people are talking about is a DAP deliverable that's very close to done, not a SysApps Charter potential deliverable for a WG that's merely nascent.

> Forget the Adaptive Video Streaming, I was a little hesitate to use that term in
> the use case too ... The point is Network Information API can enable or improve
> certain implementations. In above use cases, it improves user experience
> before the real Adaptive streaming API is available.

The video APIs will exist before anything is published by SysApps. So you'll need another use case.

And note that we're only asking for UCs to justify referencing existing specifications. You can't reference non-existent specifications, such as SysApps deliverables. You can certainly take those UCs to SysApps and work to ensure that their deliverables address them.

> Why not expose this simple API to do so? Native apps have relied on such API.

To do which? And where. CoreMob is interested in suggesting browsers implement standards that have been standardized.

If you want DNS lookups, or reverse DNS, then sure, you could ask SysApps for that feature. And I'd hope they'd provide it, it's certainly a reasonable request.

However, today, for most purposes a simple WebService can expose the necessary API to the WebApp. If you show actual Web Applications using that feature, then it's an easier sell to provide a browser API for it...