Re: gender/sex field in contact formats

In my experience, gender is almost always returned by providers as a string,
and they don't all agree on canonical string values for male and female. But
the following heuristic usually works: "if the gender string starts with
'm', normalize it to 'male', if it starts with 'f', normalize it to
'female', otherwise, leave it as is". In PoCo, our string-valued fields work
exactly like this--we specify a few "canonical values" that people should
try to use if possible, but leave the value open for people to also use
non-standard or extensible values. Then depending on your UI for
displaying/changing gender on your end, you can either look for the
canonical values and map them to male/female radio buttons, or recognize
that it's not male/female and show "other", or even show the exact string
value.

all the non-male/female string gender values, right?

Thanks, js

is just ugly and bloated and semantically opaque. This kind of thing *does*
matter if you want developers to understand, use, and, like your spec. Just
because a spec is official doesn't mean it will automatically get wide
adoption! Caring about being beautifully designed and user-friendly isn't
just a smart tactic for consumer software/hardware, it's for anything humans
have to deal with! :)