Re: Generating PDF Files - Complexity of last para.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:48 AM,  <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Andrew Arch
> Email: andrew.arch@finance.gov.au
> Affiliation: Australian Government Information Management Office
> Document: TD
> Item Number: (none selected)
> Part of Item: Description
> Comment Type: question
> Summary of Issue: Generating PDF Files - Complexity of last para.
> Generating PDF Files - http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2011/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20110621/pdf.html#pdf_notes_acc-
> sup_files_generating
>
> The final paragraph of this section appears unnecessarily complex, and its level
> of technical advice may not be appropriate to a general audience. It states “the
> resulting PDF files may not make the best use of the high-level PDF imaging
> model”. If this means that some PDF generators may create image-based PDF files
> or PDF files with no semantic structure, then we suggest that these situations be
> included as examples. If the paragraph has another meaning, examples are still
> recommended to help clarify for readers what the issue means in practice.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Clarify the last paragraph of this section; possibly include examples.

We have added additional explanation to this section and hope that the
issue is clearer:

 "...the best use of the high-level PDF imaging model <add> relied
upon to expose the semantics of the document</add>"

Added to the end of "Generating PDF Files":

For example, since the printer driver or translator targets correct
visual output, information about the semantics of the document may not
be sent at all or may be ignored when creating the PDF output. As a
result, headings may not be tagged as such, or link text may not be
associated with its link object. Check with the vendor of any PDF
authoring tool to be understand how to use the tool in a way that
produces the best tagged output.