Re: Documentation for Inspect Objects (part of the Windows SDK)

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:39 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Guy Moreau
> Email: guy.moreau@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca
> Affiliation: HRSDC (Goverment of Canada)
> Document: TD
> Item Number: SCR37
> Part of Item: Resources
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: Documentation for Inspect Objects (part of the Windows
> SDK)
> Add what you are looking for with the Inspect Objects tool as it provides
> many technical features. This could be included as a note or as a separate
> link / new technique.
>
> Note: I have been using Inspect Objects for several years as an testing
> tool to determine accessible name (labels) in applications, flash and web
> pages. I would be happy to elaborate more if required.
>
> Proposed Change:
> recommended configuration:
> 1. Options Menu:
>   a) Unset Watch Cursor (performance and allows to test tab order because
> only keyboard focus works afterwords)
>   b) optional but recommended:  Show Highlight Rectangle (helps find
> missing focus rectangle by clearly showing focus separately)
>   c) optional but recommended: Show information tooltip. This is useful for
> single screens as it shows the required information in a tooltip on top of
> your webpage.
> 2. Settings Menu:
>   a) (optional) In the list of "Diplay in main windows" select Name, Value,
> Role and State only.
>   b) required if using Information Tooltip: select Name, Value, Role and
> State only.
>
> Usage:
> 1) Tab through a web page or embedded object,
> 2) check if there is a name property
> 3) if there is a name property, check if it matches the appropriate label.
>
> If 2 and 3 are true this is a pass, all else fails.
>
> ================================
Thank you for the suggestion. We assume you mean the "Inspect" tool from
Microsoft. We agree that the Inspect tool can be useful for testing. Our
test section of each technique, however, is not the appropriate place to
provide a tutorial on how to use it.

We've instead provided a link to both the SDK, which was previously there
and added a link the Instructions for the Inspect tool.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd318521(v=vs.85).aspx

We've also provided a link to one of our members who has created an article
with your recommendations:

 "Using the Inspect tool to find name Name, Role and Value for Javascript"
http://www.eramp.com/david/name-role-value-using-inspect.htm